Karting event draws 180 drivers
MOORESVILLE – A record-setting 180 entrants highlighted the GoPro Motorplex Karting Challenge Doubleheader on Aug. 24. Winners were determined in 14 categories and this was the sixth round of the competition. Each segment of the GoPro Motorplex Karting Challenge consists of two rounds of practice, qualifying, pre-final and final races for all classes. Round Seven will be Sept. 21.
Round Six winners were Jack Crawford, Zack Frank, David Lawrence, Anthony Gangi, Jr., Dalton Dow, Slade Westbrook, Neil Verhagen, Chris Bowen, Ashley Rogero, Enzo Fittipaldi, Mark Manno, Billy Duff, Josh Wilson and Kevin Ross.
The Kid Kart division winners were Caleb Gafrarar, Damian Gutierrez, Riley Sampson, Sam Corry, Brent Crews and Jayden Park.
• Rotax Micro Max Division - Jack Crawford backed up his Micro Max division Round Five win with another final win in Round Six. Just four laps into the 15-lap final, Crawford had lapped nearly the entire field. Aiden Baker-Crouse and Tyler Maxson finished second and third, respectively.
• Rotax Senior Division – Nick Losito won the qualifying with a lap of 49.391 seconds. Justin Neu won the pre-final. Dalton Dow won the final, followed by Bjorn Bovim and Varun Choksey.
• Rotax Junior Division – Anthony Gangi, Jr. won a close race, with Bradley Zilisch finishing second and Blake Hunt third in the 20-lap final.
• Yamaha Junior Division – Zack Frank won by a scant 0.9 seconds over Ashlyn Breuer. Abby Sinon finished third, as all three were within one kart length of each other.
• Yamaha Senior Division – David Lawrence won the final, Ben Curtis won the pole and the 12-lap pre-final, but finished second to Lawrence in the final. Christopher Hamilton was third.
• TaG Junior Division – Neil Verhagen won rounds five and six, but was pressured by runner-up Myles Rowe.
• TaG Masters Division – After a late-race skirmish, Chris Bowen won the final, followed by Steve Frank and Randy Sampson.
• TaG Senior Division – Ashley Rogero won rounds five and six. Ricky Rudd was the pole winner. Justin Neu passed Nick Losito late in the final to finish second.
• Mini Max Division – Enzo Fittipaldi could not be beat in the Mini Max division, earning his second win of the weekend. Dante Tekampe had the fastest lap in qualifying (53.74 seconds). Alex Verhagen was second in the final.
• Briggs Junior Division – Billy Duff won both weekend rounds. Brian Collins was second and Alison Cody third.
• Briggs Senior Heavy Division – Josh Wilson went undefeated in the division and collected $200 in prize money. Chris Teis and J.T. Swygert completed the top three.